Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!


The celebrations are all over and all that is left now are the memories, the photos taken on my new digital camera (thanks to my husband for the perfect gift) and the big mess! We spent time today trying to make some space in our little house, take down the lights, and put away the decorations. I also have to put away the Christmas quilts, including this wallhanging in the dining room. I made this quilt exactly 10 years ago. My husband's family had rented a lodge in Red Bay and when we arrived we discovered that they had a big fluffy cat at the lodge. Because I am very allergic to cats (can't breathe!) I had to leave the family fun, and head back home. Feeling quite sorry for myself, I thought I would cheer myself up with a brief stop at The Hobby Horse. I found this pattern, bought all the fabrics, and spent the next couple of days piecing the top. Although I missed out on the lodge memories, I sure enjoyed my quiet days sewing by myself! I still enjoy this quilt, even though the quilting leaves much to be desired. The free motion quilting is a disaster...the tension is a mess in most places on the back, and the "motion" is not at all "free"...it is very spastic, uneven, and bizarre in places! To make things worse, some of the border is quilted, and some is not. It needs more quilting and every year I say I will finish it, but I haven't. Maybe this year!
I almost forgot to write that while I was in New York, I stopped in at the Calico Gals quilt store. It is in an old barn and looks kind of scarey from the front! But inside it is an amazing store created in the barn lofts, having an unparalled collection of Batik fabrics. I bought lots of fabric for my stash and enjoyed visiting with the friendly staff. I almost signed up for a mystery class because the price and fabric bundle was just too irrestible, but the class was already full!

No comments: