Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

class sample
I hope all you mothers out there in quilt blog land are enjoying a relaxing day! I have had a very busy week as we are cleaning out my mother-in-law's house after almost 50 years of her living there. Even though she is very organized, that is a lot of time to collect stuff! It has been such a huge task.
On Friday night I went to a mystery quilt class called "Ladies of the Evening" at one of my favourite quilt stores (Reichards). Two of my quilting friends had signed up, and when one couldn't go, I agreed to take her place. Then the other one was ill and I ended up there by myself. 
fabric collection
That's okay, I enjoyed an evening of meeting new quilting friends, sewing, and I especially enjoyed starting this new project! On the right is the sample quilt and the pattern is called "Criss Cross" by Deb Beirnes. 
One of the things I love about this class is that she has pre-cut kits for you. This is my kit on the left - all ready for me to start sewing! I decided to make my quilt completely scrappy and did not match the fabrics on both sides of the block. 
blocks on the design wall
Here is the photo of my blocks on the design wall before I left the class. I decided I would like to make it one row longer and one row wider, which I think would complete the dark diamonds on the right and bottom sides. So I will have to dig around in my stash and find some more squares to make more 13 blocks. But it will have to go to the bottom of my "to do" list since the next step of the Orange Crush mystery has been posted!

3 comments:

Candace said...

Sounds like a fun, relaxing evening, and soon you'll have a pretty quilt to show for it.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Kathy:

LOVE the colours and layout of your quilt...better than the original! :-) I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one starting new projects all the time. I was the last one standing at the London Friendship Quilt Guild meeting when Kay Hannah spoke to our guild. I had the second highest number of UFO's! Only Kay beat me ROFLOL. Love the goodies from the shop hop too! Some of my quilt friends went on that one and showed their goodies for show and tell! Hmmm....love your rationale for your 25th anniversary outing..it's my birthday next week and maybe I can use some of these techniques for a nice day out antiquing and quilt shop hopping next week? :-)

Jacqui

Khris said...

Kathy I love this criss cross quilt of yours...hugs Khris