Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Sampler #5

As I wrote in this post, my friend Louise visited last weekend and she brought a few of her quilting books for me to enjoy looking at in between piecing my plaid blocks and while chatting up a storm!
One of her books was Thimbleberries "Big Book of Quilt Blocks" by Lynette Jensen. There are a ton of block patterns in this book and in all the years I have been quilting, I don't think I've ever made anything from Thimbleberries...some people will think that is a terrible oversight I'm sure :)
I decided to pick one 12" block pattern from this book to make for my 2010 Saturday Sampler quilt, and eventually settled on "Painted Daisy". Here are the 65 pieces that I cut to start out with.
My favorite parts of this block are the fussy cut corner blocks, which took me forever to settle on (the previous 6 fabrics I auditioned for the corners were rejected), and the plain centre square that I spiced up by more adding connecting corners. I will never admit how many hours went into the fabric selection, cutting, and sewing of this block, and then changing my mind, re-cutting and re-sewing!! Never mind that some of you would have made entire quilt tops given the same amount of time!
Name: Painted Daisy
Designer: Lynette Jensen
Pattern: Big Book of Quilt Blocks

16 comments:

scrappynanna said...

You are tantalizing me and I am getting closer to giving in and doing these blocks with you....ohhhh what to do!!!!

Debra said...

wow! That's a beauty.

Mary said...

That is a lot of pieces for a block. It's a pretty one though. Choosing fabrics is a challenge for me too. I like doing the fussy cutting.

Karen said...

The fussy cuts add interest to your quilt block. Good idea.

julieQ said...

Oooooo, this is pretty! I love those fabrics...gorgeous block! I am doing sampler too for 2010...guess it is our year.

SubeeSews said...

I have never made anything Thimbleberries either.
That block is GORGEOUS!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

And it turned out wonderful! :-) Great fabric choices!

Gina said...

Love the block. All the time you took was definitely worth it

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Yvette said...

What a gorgeous block! Your fabric choices are just perfect! I'm really enjoying reading your blog.

Jackie's Stitches said...

Whatever the amount of time you spent on this block was worth it! The fabric selection is perfect and I'm with you, the fussy cut corners are the cherry on top!

Diana LaMarre said...

Beautiful block, Kathy. It was worth all the time. The fussy cut corners turned out great.

Connie said...

You quilt block is so pretty, I really like doing sampler quilt because each block is different. I just found you blog and seem your machine quilting, what kind of machine do you use and is it freehand quilting? really good job! I really enjoy your blog and will list you on my follower list. HAVE A GREAT WEEK! HAPPY SEWING!

Zlaty said...

Love the colors on this block!

Happy sewing!

Fiber Babble said...

Wow! Incredible block, looks like you've pieced it PERFECTLY! 65 pieces in ONE block and you ADDED pieces?? - how cool! Is it really just a 12" block????

You know, I have nothing against the Thimbleberries patterns - but I tend to shy away from the fabric lines. The tones are not my cuppa tea... though most quilts I see made with TB fabs are look cozy and appealing. Go figure, eh?

Mary Johnson said...

It's very pretty but you're right, I probably would choose a simpler block just because it's quick. One of these day's I'll make a sampler quilt and include some fussy blocks!

Barb in Mi said...

Beautiful - and so accurate; waayy out of my league! 65 pieces sounds daring for my type of quilting and you have my full admiration!