Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Traditional vs. Modern

Traditional:  tonight I am doing some soothing hand quilting on my oldest UFO - read about it here. I don't hand quilt very many projects, but I sure do enjoy it. I am on the last border, just doing some straight bars, and using my old wooden circular hoop, which I won at a quilt show many years ago. I'm so close to finishing this baby quilt for my daughter.... who is now at University!!! Really LOL!
And after searching for years, I have finally found a perfect fabric for the binding, so I guess I'll finish it up!
But when it's finished...what then? I'll have to dig out another UFO to hand quilt over the next 20 years!!
Modern: my most modern quilting tool is my computer, which I love! This photo shows my work station where I have been putzing around working on a mini mystery quilt. Cyndi has been posting pieces to a mystery quilt on Mondays and I haven't had time to get very far on it until this week - click here to read about the project. This is my progress so far and I hope to finish it up by the weekend...I've sewn most of the 4 steps while listening to Pat Sloan's creative talk radio show on Podcast - click here to find out about that.
These pieces are "large" for me...2 1/2" squares! If I make it again, I'll downsize it for sure...I could probably make a very mini version from my scraps!
Are you going to Shop Hop this week? We have the greatest shop hop around here...5 shops and you get free fabric at each shop, and at your last stop you get a pattern for a project designed specially for the hop! My favorite year was 2008, when I tricked my husband into taking me on the shop hop as part of our anniversary celebration - click here to read about that shop hop and click here to see my finished project, which I'll be carrying around, filling up with the new fabric I will be shopping for to make Judy's new mystery quilt - click here to read about it. I'm so excited because I really need a new project! LOL!
I fished around for some hints about this shop hop's project when I met some store owners at the SewFest last weekend, but they didn't give me any clues. I am on call at work Thursday, working all day Friday and away on the weekend,  so I don't know when I'll get around to all the shops, but you can bet I'll be creative and figure out a way to do it!

5 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for linking to Cyndi's blog. I liked the Mystery. My quilt buddy needs one or two of those blocks made to go with her Christmas quilt she just finished.

Darlene said...

Wonderful post, Kathy! I envy you handquilting talent.

Andrea said...

Well at least you haven't given up on it Kathy. I think you should hold a party when it's completely finished - lol !!

Libby said...

I do love hand quilting - the process and the result. It does take time . . . . but it's so worth it. Your quilt is a beauty!

Millie said...

Beautiful hand quilting...I wish I could do that.