Monday, November 29, 2010

Design Wall Monday #44

My weekend was an interesting balance of two types of quilting - large blocks, easy to construct quilt that will be used and loved to death vs. small complex blocks,  challenging to sew, artsy type of wall hanging that will never be used. I love both types of quilting and although most people seem to have a strong preference for one or the other, I love them both.
I already wrote about Saturday's challenging artsy project (click here to read it) and today I am writing about Friday's class which had a quick and relaxing project. The "Ladies of the Evening" is a biannual class at Reichards and is a wonderful night out with quilting friends. We enjoyed a potluck supper, lots of socializing, and sewing until we drop (which for me was much earlier than usual since I had to get up early to travel to the class on Saturday).

Here is the fabric kit for this mystery project...all lovely Christmas fabrics.


Cutting and sewing the 64 half rectangle blocks was quick...it was the trimming up that took the most time. And of course I saved the little dog ears for my collection.



And here are the blocks as they look on my design wall this morning...
Christmas Diamonds!
There are two borders - one green and one red, and then I'll have another Christmas quilt, which will make a perfect gift if I get it finished in time. Thanks to Deb Beirnes for another memorable evening and a lovely quilting project!
Want to see what other quilters are working on this week? Check out Judy's blog for a long list of quilters showing their design wall today - click here. And Judy will be on Pat Sloan's radio show today - you can download the podcast to listen to as you sew - click here.

19 comments:

Diane said...

you sure keep busy-your pictures and posts are inspiring as always.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I like that quilt! So simple with the big blocks. ANd it really looks good.

glen

Judy D in WA said...

What a great Christmas quilt~a quick and easy project is fun.

Teaquilts said...

I like your Christmas quilt. We are so lucky as quiltmakers. We never run out of sources for our craft. I love geometric quilts!

Chris said...

The Christmas diamonds are too cute!!

Kathie said...

I like your Christmas diamonds, what a wonderful way that would be to use up some of my misc Christmas fabrics.

Mary said...

How many people will be so lucky as to get a Chrsitmas Quilt from you this year? I like the diamonds too, what size are the finished blocks? AND I have to ask WHY are you saving Dog ears?? I thought my selvage saving passion was bad.

Toni said...

OOO, I like this a lot! I might have to borrow your idea with my holiday fabric....not right now though LOL too many other projects!

Karen S said...

What a pretty Christmas quilt.

AnnieO said...

Love the diamonds! I have yet to make a Christmas quilt. I'm with you on the trimming--but it sure makes things go together more easily.

Jo said...

I love scrappy so this is definitely one I like!

Linda said...

I love it! Christmas diamonds is right!

Kate said...

Really like the Christmas diamonds. Those blocks are going to make a gorgeous quilt.

Barb in Mi said...

Nice Christmas diamonds! Love them - easy but so effectfull! I should dig into my x-mas fabrics...

Angie in SoCal said...

I do like this pattern. It looks like just the kind of block I like to make. What were the size of the triangles you cut to put those together?
Thanks for sharing

Charlene S said...

That project looks like it was lots of fun.

Gari in AL said...

I love your blocks, they look so festive. But, did I miss something? You collect dogears?

scraphappy said...

What pretty colors. I hope you get this one done in time for Christmas -- this Christmas that is.

Carol Shoemaker said...

Just found your blog, and I love it! I have a question, though, being a newbie: What is this "design wall"? What is it made of? I want to put one up in my sewing/office/spare bed room where space is limited.