Saturday, February 05, 2011

Scrappy Saturday - Red

The colour of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is red, and in sorting through my scraps I discovered that I don't have many red ones. It isn't a colour I work with very often, except for Valentine's Day projects!
When searching for red scraps, I found this UFO which I pieced at retreat 2 years ago! It was one of the mystery patterns from Paper Panache.

I found the red scraps from piecing the rose and bordered the block, then started to remove the paper pattern from the back. That is a task that is best completed while watching TV.
Then I quilted very simply around the rose, the heart, and the leaves, and did some straight lines in the border.
And ta da...
a finished mini quilt for Valentine's Day!

I just realized that this same process happened to me in January when I was looking for blue scraps to use up...I found an old blue UFO to work on. If this happens every month of the challenge, I'll be very happy!
My goal for this week is to make a couple of red blocks for this scrap quilt.
Hop over to Angela's blog and see what other quilters are doing with their red scraps - click here.

24 comments:

Jane said...

Great way to find all the UFO's, and a great finish too

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! Beautiful paper piecing and colors. Great way to use up a UFO too!

Elly D said...

WOW! Beautiful little quilt! You've made a great start to the red scrap challenge. I've still to figure what I'm going to do but have collected my scraps. I'll post a picture later this weekend.

Lilian Pilar said...

es un trabajo precioso, me he enamorado de tan bella flor y si continuas así todos los meses los tendras cubiertos...
te invito que coloques en ti blog un traductor de google, por favor....
exelente fin de semana..

is a wonderful job, I love so beautiful flower and if you go every month and will have covered ...
I invite you to put in you blog a translator of google, please ....
excellent weekend ..

Elke said...

Oh, that´s a wonderful rose. And gratulations for finishing your UFO.

Kathy said...

That is such a lovely pieced rose! Now it's great that you have it complete and can start enjoying it this month. Good for you.

Amy said...

very nice! I love the rose,Amy

Cattinka said...

This is a beautiful red quilt. How nice to have another finish, don´t you think?
KATRIN W.

Kirsten said...

That is really nice...I also don´t have lots of red...but I guess I can manage a small quilt wallhanging

sophie said...

I really like the idea of finding a color-coordinating UFO and am doing the same ;-)

The rose is beautiful--that's some intricate paper piecing.

Just One More Thing said...

The rose is just breathtakingly beautiful!! Wish I'd find UFO's like you do:)

Jessica said...

I LOVE the rose, it's gorgeous! I need to learn how do do this. Thanks for the inspiration! I also don't use red very much, you are in good company :)

scraphappy said...

Fabulous paper pieced block! I can't believe the treasures that keep turning up in your UFO pile. What a great little quilt.

Comfort Cove Designs said...

What a sweet little heart!!!! Nice job!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Lynda said...

There is nothing better than finding a UFO which fits the bill! The rose is lovely!

Scrappy quilter said...

Oooh I like that. Great job!!

julieQ said...

What a fun find in your sewing room! It is great that you got it finished...that was a lot of paper piecing, Kathy!

Melinda said...

Just beautiful and a perfect project to finish just before Valentines Day.

Ellen said...

Great way to get all the UFOs done - it looks beautiful!

Amy said...

Oh WOW!!!! What a beautiful block! Great find and great finish

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is beautiful!

Gari in AL said...

That is really a beautiful little quilt. I wonder why you didn't finish it before?

Melissa said...

What a beautiful rose!

Simone de Klerk said...

What an incredibly beautiful rose!!!