Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Spring is definitely here, even though the calendar says we still have a few more days of winter. When I walked the dog I could hear the birds singing and I saw my first robin today...we actually survived another Great Canadian winter! The robin flew away before his photo op, but I did manage to snap this shot of a woodpecker in our front tree. 


Today I had to do two things that I hate to do.
1) Throw out my Valentine roses, which were completely dried out but still looked so pretty to me. But the kids were making fun of my enjoyment of the dead roses, so I had to give in to the peer pressure and put them on the snowy compost pile.
2) I had to fix the buttons on my spring coat. I will hand embroider or hand quilt for hours on end, but I hate to mend or sew on buttons...isn't that bizarre?!? 
Thank you to everyone who left me a comment yesterday guessing my favorite block. I'll be sending out fat quarters to the first few who guessed that my favorite was block #11...so many tiny pieces and perfectly made...I loved it! (If you left a comment but your blogger account is set to "no reply", I won't be able to email you to send you a little fabric treat if you guessed #11!)


How did you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?!? Traditionally I cook green food for supper, usually green pasta, and green cake for dessert. If you didn't know about Pat Sloan's blog hop, you still have time to visit the participating blogs and enter the draw to win one of her Irish quilt books - click here.


I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by doing a little bit of machine quilting on my green and blue UFO.  I'll write more about this project next week when I can devote more time to this quilt, but I am hopeful that I will be able to finish it before the end of the month!
Most of my sewing time this week is devoted to making arcs for the Indian Orange Peel class on Saturday, and fussing around about warm/cool colours according to the colour wheel. I'll be so happy to go back to making colour choices that I like instead of according to colour theory :) But I'm doing this one by the book and following the teacher's instructions as best I can, in the hope that this quilt will turn out to be as spectacular as it is in my mind! LOL Check back tomorrow for the "arc photo shoot"!

4 comments:

Cathi said...

What a beautiful day Thursday was -- so mild! We haven't seen any robins yet, but it's nice to know they're here in Ontario!
I will do anything to put off sewing on buttons. That just isn't anywhere near as much fun as piecing. :-)

The Cozy Quilter said...

I had to do some mending this week too. Not nearly as much fun as quilting!

Jackie J said...

Mending is taking valuable time away from quilting, we all feel the same.

Kate said...

I hate mending too! We went to a St. Pats Day parade while we were on Spring Break. It was a bit luny, but we had a lot of fun!