Monday, February 27, 2012

Design Wall Monday #9

This is the New Year's Eve mystery from Fabricaholics Anonymous
I don't like my version at all and am disappointed in my fabric choices. It's way too "blah" to make me happy, and there is not enough contrast in the 9 patch blocks to show the design well. But as my friend Maria says "not every project is going to be a masterpiece"!





I loved Amy's version of this quilt and she inspired me to use up the baby HST's in a border. Believe me, that is one heck of a lot of block trimming, which I did at quilt retreat. But it was worth it, as the HST border did help me to like the quilt a little bit more.
Here is a photo of the only corner that came together well in that border. For the other borders, I just cut them at the correct length and didn't worry about how the blocks lined up, so they don't look as nice.
And look here....I have already finished preparing the binding so I will be motivated to finish this quilt and get it out of my sewing room!
To see more design wall blogposts, hop over to Patchwork Times.

14 comments:

Dawn said...

It's like a blended quilt, and I love those.
Great progress and binding ready too!

Janet O. said...

It has a very soft, romantic feel. Not your favorite? Someone will be thrilled with it, for sure!

Cathy said...

It's quite pretty and feminine and delicate. I'm sure, if it isn't going to stay at your house, a little girl somewhere would love it.

Bonnie said...

I too like bolder colors especially for babies. But there are scads of folks who like the softer colors... And, hey, it is almost done!!! great job.

Judy D in WA said...

Sometimes thing just turn out that way. I like it and I'm sure someone will be thrilled to own it. Way to stick with it and make it work.

AnnieO said...

The hazard of mystery quilts! But it is pretty up close and I like the secondary design you get from that bright blue from a distance. So it is interesting both ways, and sure to be warm and cozy :)

Floss said...

That can be a issue when picking fabric for a mystery quilt. It can be hard to pick the right fabric when you don't know what you are making. I was surprised at the difference when I check out Amy's quilt.

Diana LaMarre said...

When I don't like one of my pieced tops, I usually don't bother to finish it. So I am impressed that you have the binding all done!

I do like the turquoise color. I bet you know someone who would really love it!

*karendianne. said...

Another good thing about this quilt is the usability. Sometimes the masterpiece is hard to use. Sometimes not. Just thought I'd mention that in case it applies. ;)

Deb Robertson Writes said...

I love this quilt. Even though I make a lot of bright quilts, my heart is in the softer ones, they are the ones that steal my heart :) It's truly lovely.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I like the muted colors! I recently finished a top that I didn't care for but it looked a lot better when it was quilted.

Threeundertwo said...

As Dawn pointed out, it's a lovely blended quilt. Good for you for finishing it up. I like the soft colors.

Ellen said...

I think it looks just fine, I do like the way you framed it with the hst border. The magic of quilting will change the way it looks as well!

Denise :) said...

Kathy, it's looking terrific! I really like this color combination! :)