Saturday, March 24, 2012

Scrappy Saturday - Pink

At quilt retreat in February we each received a little bag of our friend Marjorie's scraps to make into a mini quilt. Some of the bags were civil war fabrics, and some were Kaffe Fassett scraps. I could have enjoyed sewing with either of the collections, but this was the one that begged to come home with me. I split this pile of scraps into two groups since there was more than enough to make 2 little quilts.


Co-incidentally the colour of the month over at  Rainbow Scrap Challenge is pink, so the timing was perfect for me to play with these scraps. And if you're going to play with pink scraps, of course you have to make hearts! My heart blocks measure 2" x 2.5"(finished).
Wow...that's a lot of pink!!
I put a tiny 1/4" sashing between the blocks for a little bit of breathing space between the hearts.  I didn't do much quilting...just straight lines in the sashing and the border. Then I added 4 little pink shell hearts (mostly to cover up the seam intersections which didn't quite meet, but don't tell anyone!)
I am donating this little "Pink Overload" to my quilt guild's mini quilt raffle at the quilt show in May. The finished size is 8" x 9". I hope to finish the second little mini quilt in time for next Saturday's post. To see what other quilters are making with their pink scraps, hop over to SoScrappy's blog.

17 comments:

Gail said...

Very cute! I like the little embellishment of shell hearts, who cares what it covers up?!

Teresa in Music City said...

That is just too cute! I love the cute heart buttons too!

Janet O. said...

So cute! Nobody needs to know why the buttons are there. I know I won't tell. : ) They certainly look like they were intended to be there all along.

Sheila said...

I love this little pink heart quilt! I love Kaffe Fassett fabrics, too! I look forward to seeing the mini quilt you are going to make for next Saturday :D

Kate said...

Very cute! It should do really well at the auction.

Merilyn said...

You did well with your scraps and created something so very cute!!!!

julieQ said...

What a darling quilt, Kathy!! Love it!

*karendianne. said...

Oh this is just too darn cute. Delightful. Happy. I love it and the buttons make it sing.

Karen said...

Pretty pinks. Something I have little of in my stash.

soscrappy said...

So cute! Perfect use of pink.

Béa said...

Very cute, love it.

Elly D said...

So adorably cute! LOVE those pink scrap fabrics!!

Anonymous said...

These photos are great, Kathy. I love pink.

AnnieO said...

So sweet! Glad you enjoyed working with these little scraps in such a happy way.

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Super cute, often what I think of as a cover up for a mistake turns out to be the highlight of my quilt so your embellishment is perfect I think.

Angie said...

Cute...cute...CUTE!

Edith said...

I like everything about this little quilt, the colour, the fabric, the hearts and the shell hearts. Lovely.