Tuesday, April 03, 2012

March UFO Finally Done!

Well, better late than never, eh?!?!
My March UFO is now a finished quilt! You can read more details about this project here if you missed that post. The quilt and I had a little disagreement mid-month about how it would be quilted and the bossy quilt won. I'm sure you all could have guessed that it would!


Here is my "helper" Miss Molly who loves to snuggle up in quilts and just had to get in on the photo session. She is now 13 years old and the sweetest (and most spoiled) dog to ever live!


I enjoyed quilting my free motion quilt challenge last month, which gave me the idea to do a "loops and stars" design on the white background areas of this quilt. 
(The photos of the block quilting designs that I did earlier in the month can be found  on this post here.)
In the borders I quilted one of my favorite hooked feather designs from Sally Terry's book. I went around the whole quilt making feathers in gold thread on the inside border, and then went around again quilting with blue thread for the outside blue stars border. I did some fun little hooked feathers in the blocks around the corners. This is a fast design which allows you to quilt an entire border easily in less than an hour.
And here is the finished quilt hanging in the spring sunshine on the clothesline. 
Ooops...do you see the shadows of the tree and my hands in the photo?!?!  Photographer incompetence! 
Oh well, it's a finished quilt and that's all that matters!! To see other UFO's that were finished in March, hop over to Patchwork Times.

33 comments:

Ellen said...

Gorgeous! You added so many wonderful details with the quilting - I am glad the quilt demanded such special quilting - it did deserve it! I think Miss Molly is in total agreement too.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I'm glad the bossy quilt won!
The quilting looks great. I love the colors in this quilt. Looking forward to seeing April's project!

Gari in AL said...

Great job on the quilt and quilting. And what an adorable "puppy".

beaquilter said...

that turned out lovely, I see you DID do the corner to corner loops,and I love the little stars on the meandering on the white, and nice border designs..... well done!

Teresa in Music City said...

Great job and a gorgeous quilt!!!!

Krista said...

It's beautiful!

Béa said...

Wonderful quilt & quilting ! XXX

Dresden Quilter said...

It is so beautiful. I love your quilting.

swooze said...

Congrats on the finish. Beautiful job.

Vicki W said...

It's a very pretty quilt! You must be very happy to have it done.

Bonnie said...

love your quilting... I have that book... I guess I need to take it out and look it over again. Domestic machine, right? All the more wonderful!

Rose Marie said...

Better late than never .... what a gorgeous quilt!

Janet O. said...

Your quilting is always so motivating to me. I think you did a great job choosing patterns that fit the quilt (or should I say the quilt did a good job choosing--I forgot who was in charge here). Thanks for sharing the details of the design. A beautiful finish, Kathy!

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

It's a wonderful quilt and the quilting is outstanding. I wouldn't call two days a late finish more like an unavoidable delay ;D

Darlene said...

Beautiful, bossy quilt, Kathy! The quilting is perfect.

Jackie J said...

Love this quilt, you did a great job!!!

AnnieO said...

I've yet to try feathers and will have to investigate your method--that's a speedy finish! Bossy or not, it looks just terrific.

I think including the shadow of the photographer in the shot was clever, not incompetent :)

Mary said...

The quilt is finished, complete, finito...Congrats to you and the boss. You do great work!

Jan said...

What a great quilt; just love the colors. Miss Molly is a cutie!

Floss said...

Great job, and its only a couple of days late so still good in my books.

Deb Robertson Writes said...

I love this Kathy, you are amazing! I can't believe all the stuff that comes out of your closet!! it's downright incredible.

scraphappy said...

First rate quilting. So glad the quilt let you know what it needed! Certainly a finished product to treasure.

Ivani said...

Love it. Great quilting, great color combo. Gorgeous quilt.
hugs

Heather said...

Looks great. love all the differeence golds that you used, brings life and movement to the stars.

Jean said...

What a beautiful quilting job! I love it and the quilt as well. Good finish!

Amy said...

Simply beautifully amazing! The colors combination is incredible.

Debbie said...

What a great finish! I love those "j" hooked feathers, too.

Mary Johnson said...

Gorgeous! I got April's loaded and started but expect I won't get it bound before next week when I head east for 3 weeks.

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt, I love the blue and chedder color scheme. Congrats on getting it done!

Thelma said...

Yeah! What a beauty! I'm glad the bossy quilt won, your time and work shows, great job!

Diane Kelsey said...

Wow you have lots of followers! A wonderful quilt, with great quilting to complement your blocks.

Teresa Rawson said...

BEAUTIFUL...colors of my Alma Mater (Auburn...War Eagle!). Congratulations on your fantastic finish!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

This blue and gold quilt is really beautiful! Perfect shades of blue to work together and the perfect shade of gold. Lovely!