Thursday, June 07, 2012

Gardening and Jam Making

My garden is finally planted and if we get some good sunny weather, the seeds might not all float away! I buy my organic seeds from Hawthorne Farm (click here for a great article about buying organic and local). This year my garden has 2 kinds of cucumbers, zucchini, 3 varieties of tomatoes, peppers, beets, carrots, 2 kinds of beans, onions, and snap peas. 
I am hoping for a better harvest this year...with less feeding of the local rabbit families and more feeding of my family! I built a bit of a fence to discourage the rabbits from using my garden as a restaurant, so I'll let you know how it goes. So far, so good.
We have eaten up almost all the jam I made last year, so I am in production again. My first jams of the 2012 summer season are strawberry rhubarb and are very yummy if I do say so myself!
I am really enjoying this great book that my cousin bought for me in a second hand bookstore. I read it at night and dream about all the recipes I am going to try this year...well, when I'm not dreaming about quilting patterns that is! And of course I am just dying to try a recipe I found on line for dandelion jelly!
What are you preserving this year? Any good recipes to share?

8 comments:

Amy said...

May your Hope Angel bring you a good harvest!

Janet O. said...

Have you tried blueberry lime jam? My daughter has made it a couple of years and it is very good! Me? I stick to the basics and make strawberry, raspberry (I grow those two fruits) and sometimes some apricot if my parents' neighbor is giving away the fruit from their tree.

Khris said...

Your jams sound yummy....I have never made jam before but would love to try one day.
Hugs Khris

dortha said...

My husband made dandelion jelly several years ago. He picked dandelion blooms and picked dandelion blooms. It didn't make much but it was a pretty gold color and resembled honey taste wise. He even bought the little jelly jars to put it in. He loved to give it to people. He hasn't said anything about making anymore.

Ellen said...

We have rabbit troubles too - I have already lost several bean plants because of those critters. I will replant this weekend and put some chicken wire around the bed the beans are in. Hopefully, it will help to keep the rabbits out.

Carrie P. said...

I am going to try to pickle some beets in a week or two. first time canning for me.

Anonymous said...

I've never made dandelion jelly but it sounds very interesting, would like to try some. I tried a new twist on strawberry jam this year. It was balsamic-lemon thyme strawberry jam. We are surely enjoying it. Did a google search for the recipe.

Deb A said...

Sounds yummy! For jam I've only made quick freezer jam - usually strawberry and a raspberry. I used to can tomato's every fall..... I hope to do some again this year as I am out and prefer mine to the store bought cans. They just seem better. Oh - lots of pickles will be made this year too I hope. Just need the blooms on the cukes to start turning into something. The beans and peas are producing though and the corn is looking good.