Tuesday, June 26, 2012

June UFO Update

There is less than one week to go in this month and my June UFO is making some very slow progress. I finished piecing the borders but forgot to take a picture of the finished quilt top. It has been too hot on many days to start the machine quilting, but some of the cooler nights this week have allowed me to sit under this quilt and get to work. 
I chose some old spools of blue thread to quilt the dark plaid blocks, an orange thread to quilt the bright triangles, and a neutral to quilt the light blocks. 


This is the free motion design I tried  in the blocks, and I'm happy with how it is working out. Part of the trick seems to be eyeballing where I am heading to next, and not letting the plaid lines get me all confused!
It was going so well last night, I got into my "quilting zen" and half way down the line of orange blocks, I forgot my plan and changed the design! Do you see my fancy "Vanna tweezers" pointing to where the designs are different?!? That took a bit of time to unstitch!
I'm not sure if I will meet my goal of finishing the quilt by Saturday...it depends on how many times I am lulled into relaxing so much that I goof up!!

9 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

LOVE your Vanna tweezers LOL!!! Your plaids are so happy and colorful... I've just gotta make a plaid quilt of my own one day soon. I've got a million shirts I've started deconstructing but I can't find a slot on the schedule to start anything else right now. Guess I'll just have to enjoy yours for now :*)

Cathy said...

Don't you just HATE it when things are going so well, only to find that you've goofed and have to rip. All those stitches that went in so quickly by machine take forever to rip out. Your quilt is looking wonderful.

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Oh Kathy I love this quilt so so much. It's beyond amazing. *sigh. Don't hurry finishing it, cause I live seeing it appear on your blog

Kate said...

Don't you hate those Zen states! Even with the set back, looks like you are making good progress.

Janet O. said...

Love the calming blues, greens and purples juxtaposed with the sharp cheddar--and in plaid, no less. Can't get any better. I'm still so new to FMQ I never reach that Zen state. But I manage to make plenty of mistakes without it. : )

Helen in the UK said...

It's looking fab! Sorry you had to do unpicking :)

Marit said...

What a happy, colorful quilt! Lovely...

; )

Jean said...

looks great! I think you are worrying too much.Love the tweezers!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks beautiful and I know exactly what you mean about "quilting zen" - been there, done that!