Thursday, September 06, 2012

Streak of Lightning

There were 36 guesses on yesterday's post, and there were 367 HST's in my pile!  So Mary had the closest guess at 346...she sure knows her HST's!! I will pop a little fabric treat in the mail to Mary. Thanks to everyone for playing along and taking the time to enter your guesses. 
I have been pressing all 367 of my HST's and starting to play with them on the design wall. I am thinking of something like this zigzag design that I first saw on Nifty Quilts blog. Then I saw a Quilt Along over the summer for Streak of Lightning Quilts, but didn't want to sew the HST blocks at that time. You can see more inspiration at their Flickr group - click here, and then hop over to see Beth's scrappy version.
When I found the bag of garbage scraps in my closet, I thought of the wonderful quilts I had seen and knew they would be perfect for this design. First I have to trim up the blocks to the same size...at this point their sizes vary considerably! What a fun project for a week of too much work, too much activity, and not enough sleep!

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Should you be wielding a sharp tool near fingers if you haven;t had enough sleep? : )

Laurie said...

I did the same thing but did not have the wonderful Kaffe scraps yours has. See mine here; http://stone-belle.blogspot.com/2011/10/zigzag-friday_28.html

Helen in the UK said...

That's a LOT of HSTs!! I was too late to guess, but would only have thought of about 200, so was way off!! Thanks for all the great links to Lightening quilts - fun to see them all :)

Kate said...

That is a lot of HSTs. Love your zig zag layout.

smazoochie said...

Love it!!!So warm & rich with all of the Kaffe prints!