Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Crisis Management

I have been rereading my favorite Anne Lamott books. Her writing helps me to feel more hopeful when life is hard. I have been taking her advice while going through  another/bigger health crisis with my brother (I wrote about him many times before on my blog - you can check it out here
Photo by Anne Lamott
He had been waiting for a throat surgery to repair cavernous vascular hemangioma in his throat. That surgery was going to be extensive and required approx. 14 hours under anesthetic. It was decided that he was not strong enough to tolerate the anesthetic for that amount of time, because it was eventually discovered that he had an 8 cm tumour (possibly thymic) between his heart and lungs, with metastasized cancer in the lungs.
The oncology appointment for today was cancelled since all the test results aren't back yet. More waiting.
So what to do?
Breathe, pray and be kind. 
My sweet niece Ellen knows how to be loving and kind. 
What else can you do?
Oh yah...quilt!





I have been working on my "accidental quilt" again.

It is really great to always have an easy project at the ready to do some mindless sewing when you need it. Here are the blocks ready for cutting, pressing and trimming while I breathe.

24 comments:

Elaine M said...

Thoughts and prayers for you and family to have lots of strength and comfort.

Janet O. said...

Continuing to keep you and your brother in my prayers.
I wish I was close enough to do something kind. Glad you have a niece who knows how to do that.

scraphappy said...

Hopes and prayers for your brother, waiting is the worst part, but hopefully he is getting the care that he needs. Hope that your quilt will help keep you busy if not distracted.

Dresden Quilter said...

My thoughts are with you. Many a time quilting has helped me in times of stress.

Debbie said...

What a sweet niece. Am praying for better news for your brother.

Ellen said...

Sorry to read of the complications that your brother is facing. My thoughts are with you and your family and your brother as well. I am sure he is in good hands and getting the care that he needs.

Terri said...

My daughter, Chrissy, had metastasized breast cancer. I will pray for you and your brother.
Hugs

The Cozy Quilter said...

Take care. Still praying for all of you. Quilting will keep you sane

julieQ said...

I am really sorry, Kathy...sounds like you brother needs to come to our unit! Many hugs, and hope it all goes all well as it possibly can.

Frog Quilter said...

Wishing all goes well. Hugs and more hugs.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I hope you can find comfort in your reading and your quilting Kathy!

Lesley said...

Take care...positive thoughts and prayers going your way...

Teresa in Music City said...

I'm sorry Kathy! I'm continuing to pray for you and your brother!!!

Barb said...

You know, there are just those days when mindless sewing is the best medicine.

Candace said...

My brother is fighting a battle with the same enemy. My prayers are with you and your family.

audrey said...

So sorry about the tough times with your brother. Hope you can keep calm and fight on.

Judy D in WA said...

Sending hugs and prayers to you and your brother.

Deanna W said...

Sending big hugs to you. Stay positive...and if the quilting it helping all the better!

Teresa said...

My heart goes out to you and your brother.

Judy Dietrich said...

The being kind part is hard when every thing around you is in turmoil. It really is the best mindset to be in though, to help your brother. Being mad & revengeful only makes your blood pressure go high and your mind hurt. I'm saying prayers for you & your family. Hope is eternal!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Marvelous quote . . . prayers for what you need today and in the days ahead.

Karen said...

As I read your post I wish I could you a hug. May knowing I am prayering for good news and healing for your brother bring some comfort. God be with you.

Kate said...

Sending hugs and prayers for your brother.

brenda said...

My thoughts and prayers for your brother.