Sunday, November 03, 2013

Slow Stitching Sunday - Hand Quilting

Do you know that if you Google "hand quilting", there are over 76 million results?? That's a lot of quilting going on! There is also lot of machine stitching on the web (and I enjoy that too) but to be able to savour the delight of hand stitching is... well, there is just something about hand quilting that speaks to me differently than machine quilting. One of my favorite blogs to visit is the Celebrate Hand Quilting blog. I encourage you to pop by and enjoy the hand quilting tips and projects shared.
These are quilts that I took with me on a boat ride last weekend? Can you see that they are hand quilted? They are just the most beautiful, softest, warmest quilts to snuggle up in. Love 'em!


This is what is in my hoop today. I am hand quilting my Accidental Quilt
I haven't worked on it for a while and it is close to being finished. Maybe I am procrastinating the finish since I have enjoyed this project so much?!?




I am quilting the last rows on one end, and just have a few more to finish on the other end. And then I will quilt all around the outside of the quilt in the white triangles.


What are you hand stitching today?
You are all so awesome to take the time to share your projects and post your challenges and delights. I soooo look forward to Sundays when I can see what you are working on.  It is such a highlight of my week to make a pot of tea, fire up the computer and see your stitching. Last week there were 13 wonderful postings to enjoy and I hope there will be more today!






13 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOL Now THAT has to be the ultimate quilt picture ever....Quilts on the Water. Love it! :)

Carol Swift said...

If I could sit in a boat with a view like that, I think I'd really enjoy hand quilting a lot more. Beautiful quilts!

Ellen said...

Wonderful picture of quilts on the water!

Angie said...

The Accidental Quilt is so cheerful - I hope your Sunday stitching is soothing!

Linda said...

Oh My Gosh Kathy! I love your header. The pic on the lake is so nice but being able to sit on that deck with a cuppa would absolutely calm my soul.

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilts and pictures as usual Kathy. I'll hook up later today - so far I've done some prep work of peels in moss green and brown, ironed the Easy street top and bottom and put on the boards. Now to piece the batting so I can pin it.... I plan to draw the border quilting design onto the apple quilt today too - so I'll be all set to sit and stitch this evening. So happy to be on the home stretch on that one! Have a great Sunday.

Cathy said...

I love the quilt you are working on, and the photograph of it. You always seem to come up with such fabulous sites for photos. It seems all my hand sewing time has been hijacked by knitting lately. I keep finding the neatest projects that would make great Christmas gifts.

Wendy said...

Your quilt looks so lovely on the boat, very relaxing and serene.

Cathy said...

You've got to be kidding me! You took quilts you hand quilted on a boat ride???? After all that work I don't think I could bear it. They are so gorgeous.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

I feel the same Kathy!! I am a long time hand quilter and thoroughly enjoy it!! I am trying to learn machine quilting and want to enjoy it..but, I still feel out of control with it. lol

audrey said...

Lovely quilts to take out with you for the day! Really like the scrappy quilt you're working on too.:)

margaret said...

lovely quilts, I have only tried hand quilting, not ventured to the machine at all, hopefully one day I will have a go on the machine but hand sewing is so much more relaxing I find. Must admit I would not want to do all the blocks by hand, they would take for ever

Sandy said...

I know what you mean about procrastinating the finish. I just "finished" hand quilting my CW sampler, but I can't quite bring myself to call it done. I know I'll be going back and adding bits more quilting in several of the blocks, partly just to extend the pleasure of working on it.

I love to use my quilts, and would totally take one out on the boat! ... assuming I had a boat ~ lol!