Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Forgotten Treasures - Bowties

My memory has definitely deteriorated since passing 50!
It is always a surprise when I open a box in the basement and find quilting treasures from days gone by. On the top of the box it says something like ... "stuff". 
Inside the box is a treasure-trove of long forgotten projects, many of which are  close to being finished. This is "deep UFO stash", where projects of the past lurk. Most of them I remember clearly, and wonder why did they end up here? The major reasons probably were that I had too much on the go, too many creative ideas, too busy of a life, and/or not enough technical knowledge at that time to push through the creative challenges to get to the end of the project.
Not so anymore! 
This is one of the projects found in that box. It was a guild class with Deb Beirnes from many years ago on using up scraps.
These are 4" bowtie blocks which I like to sew. So why did this one end up in "deep UFO stash"?
I guess it was because it is not my taste in fabrics. I was using up charm squares of gold overlay fabrics that I didn't really like, so I lost interest in working on it. But I know that someone will like it, and I want to finish it and clean out these abandoned projects. This bowtie project is going into the quilt retreat project pile, along with any fabric that goes with it. The quilt will become as big as the fabric that I have will allow, and then it will be given away to the guild's comfort quilt project.
I will be posting more about what was in the box as time and courage allow!! LOL

21 comments:

Lesley said...

Your bow ties are wonderful! This will be an awesome quilt!

Missy Shay said...

What a great idea! I'm working on bowties that size, but ti is an in between projects thing so is moving along slowly.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Those bow ties look pretty to me! Love this post as I start my Olympics project of sorting through my sewing and craft "stuff" soon,

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it's good that you found the box! I don't have ufo's like that so don't know how it would have got set aside for years. I keep all of mine right out in the sewing room so I don't forget them. I never take a class of something just because it is being given - If I don't think I will make the project I don't make the block - this is the ufo's get started I think - I understand though that a lot of people in guilds think they have to make the blocks shown in demo's This quilt will be a good one even if small

June said...

I always have hand-pieced bowties around to work on, too. I love the fabrics in yours. Someone will be overjoyed to receive yours (someday?)!! June

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like the idea of venturing into 'stuff' boxes. Even though our tastes change - that piece will be loved by someone else - so finish it, or pass it on.

Debra said...

The blocks are beautiful!! What a lovely quilt when it is done. I love the cartoon... and it is sooooo true! LOL - thanks for the laughs.

beaquilter said...

aww so sweet! I'm working on a 4" bowtie quilt too- shh! wait and see

Janet O. said...

What a delightful project you have rediscovered! I love that gold of which you grew so tired. : )
Hmmm, I wonder if such a treasure is lurking anywhere in a deep abyss in my sewing room, but I am pretty sure I have never made a bow tie block. (Shocking, isn't it?)

Mary said...

4" bowties would have been more fun than Bonnie's 3" ones. I have to get mine sashed someday. I mis-cut the sashing and haven't located the fabric again to re-cut. That's why mine is in the dreaded UFO pile. I have plenty of others in the TO BE QUILTED stack to keep me happy and quilting today.

Marei said...

Oy! You just reminded me that I have a box FULL of cut out bow ties ...and some sewn already, I think. Now WHERE is it? If I don't get anything done in my room today because I'm hunting that box down, rest assured that I will be blaming you!!

audrey said...

Bow-ties are always sure to find themselves with an appreciative owner someday. They are just too wonderful to leave unfinished!

Teresa in Music City said...

Bowties make such cute quilts!!! You are right, someone will love it :) I certainly have a few of those UFO's buried too - came across one just last month that I pulled back out and began working on again. Feels like new, it's been so long LOL!!!

Robin said...

What a pretty little UFO. Good luck in finishing up - pat yourself on the back.

Andee said...

It always feels so good to get those UFO's going! This one is cute!

margaret said...

this is real trendy now vintage is a great look

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love the label on the box. "Stuff". Lol! Someone will really appreciate your finished stuff!

Deanna W said...

Finish it or adopt it out to someone else to finish. Can't wait to see what else is in the box! So the loss of memory is an over 50 thing! Good I thought I was losing my mind!!!

Fellow quilter in memory loss and eyesight!!!

Kate said...

Good luck clearing out your oldest UFOs. Sounds like you have a plan.

Quilting Nonnie said...

Bow ties are so wonderful and I do like yours. Glad you found them buried deep in UFO basement. I'm saving scraps for doing a Cheddar Bow Tie from Bonnie. Right now my leader ender is Sister's Choice. I know how memories go...I'm past 50. Actually, I'm a year away from 60.

Susan P said...

Wow, my box of UFO's doesn't have something so wonderful in it! It will make a great quilt!