Tuesday, March 25, 2014

UFO Report

It's already the last week of March, so I have to get all 12 of my QSQA blocks machine quilted by the end of the week. (You can see all the blocks on the design wall on this post.)  It's a "self imposed" deadline with A Lovely Year of Finishes, but it really works for me to get some UFO's finished. This is my most recently quilted block. 
I have used a limited number of shapes for the quilting- either arcs or wavy lines with the free motion foot, or straight lines with the walking foot. 
I have heard people say they don't like to change the feet on their machines, but I do like it. I have been changing the feet several times on each block, depending on what kind of quilting I want to do, which I make up as I go along.

I will show you on this block. 
I started with stitching the straight lines through the block's center using the walking foot. Then I changed to the free motion foot, and stitched the arcs in the bear paw blocks.



Then changed back to the walking foot to stitch around the narrow teal sashing to stabilize the block.


Then switched back to the free motion foot to make the arcs around each HST block, stitching only in the white halves. Then I free motioned the curve around the light teal border, and lastly changed back to the walking foot to go all around the block before the brown sashing strips.
And this is the finished block!

The colours and contrast on the photo have been altered to highlight the quilting lines, so you can hopefully see them better. 
I should be able to meet my goal of finishing all 12, barring any disasters between now and then!

12 comments:

Kate said...

The quilting looks great! Good luck with getting it all quilted!

Jo said...

Good job on all the different types of quilting. Looks fantastic

Deb A said...

Great job. Love seeing how you do the different quilting with the various feet. Looks great - love the arcs around the hst's.

Deanna W said...

You make it look so easy!!Good luck getting all the blocks done by the end of the month! I know you can do it!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Your quilting design is perfect for this block! Can't wait to see the quilt when it is done....keep going!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Sometimes I change the feet on the one machine as I go, but I find it easier to have one machine set up with the walking foot and the other I use for FMQ - depends on whether I am sharing space with my SIL or have all the room to myself.

Janet O. said...

You are a quick change artist with those sewing machine feet. Like Sharon, I prefer to switch machines rather than feet, but the I have to have them both threaded with the right threads, so it sometimes involves switching threads.
Your block looks super! This will be exciting to see the finishes as you work! : )

Dasha said...

I change feet too, (take left foot out of mouth, and replace it with the right foot. LOL) But usually I try to do all the quilting required with the walking foot before I go onto using the FMQ foot.
Your quilting is looking good.

Lesley said...

Your block is wonderful...love the variety of quilting that you use!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It's a beautiful block! The piecing, colors, quilting, everything! :)

Barb said...

What a great way to practice your quilting....wonderful finish

Marie said...

Busy gal. You go girl!