Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Be Fearless!

My daughter and I have some funny exchanges - in conversation, and in written notes (well, I think they are hilarious, but she sometimes does a lot of eye-rolling!)
Here is a recent written exchange. My note on the left warns her not to leave her earrings on the bathroom counter. Her note on the right reminds me not to worry about little things. 
My daughter's job
My daughter is fearless and such an inspiration. She is a diver and her job is to take care of sharks and other marine creatures.
Everyday. 
That puts a little different twist on the note above doesn't it?!?
Here she is at work in her underwater office sorting things out.  OMG she is really that close to a shark, with nothing between them but water. Everyday.

So you nervous quilter wanna-bees out there... trying machine quilting doesn't sound very scary now does it?!? LOL

My job
I often say to myself and others "what is the worst that could happen here"?
You might not do a perfect job. You might not make an award winning quilt. You might even think you "wrecked" your quilt.
So to start off with, practice on a small quilt that you don't love, and then if you hate it, give it away so you don't have to see it ever again. And then try again.
I promise that you will learn more each time you try, and eventually you will get a finished quilt if you stick with it.
Just do it! 
Be fearless!
Nothing terrible will happen and it's not that scary!

22 comments:

julieQ said...

So glad there are no sharks by the sewing machine!! Your quilt is so pretty.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I don't think I could swim with the Sharks, but I am trying some new ways of machine quilting my own quilts. Your daughter has a nice way of helping you keep things in perspective!

Lesley Gilbert said...

Amazing photo of your daughter at work. Ask her if she has heard of THE DEEP in HULL, UK - It is the world's largest submarium and in my home town ..... thedeep.co.uk ... and your post-it notes made me smile :)

The Tea Lady's Journal said...

Very good words to think about. Amazing story about your daughter; that would be so scary to me.

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Love, love, love your post Kathy! Puts it all into persective doesn't it? Amazing the things we learn from our kids eh? I've been procrastinating on quilting a quilt because I can't decide on how to quilt it...preaching to myself this a.m....just DO it woman LOL! Onward ho. Thanks for the inspiration this a.m.

beaquilter said...

that note was hilarious and now WOW she actually works with sharks!

SandraC said...

Great post!

Scrappy quilter said...

I agree, great post. Once you start you won't stop. Your daughter has a fascinating job, wow!!

Vicki W said...

LOL! Love your notes!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I will remember it could be worse I could be swimming with sharks in the water, your right it surely isn't as scary as that! What a brave daughter you have.

Needled Mom said...

I love the exchange of words!!! That is too funny.

Mary said...

I would be scared of having a daughter so close to SHARKS everyday! I hear the Jaws theme in my head now... Nice notes. Good attitude- just buy more.

Deanna W said...

I feel like you were here just talking to me and encouraging me to get my butt in gear! Used my walking foot and did a quilt on the weekend...with a little free motion in there too. It wasn't perfect but it wasn't awful either. It is definitely something that needs to be practiced ...ALOT!!!
And daughters do have a way of teaching their moms ..don't they!!

karen said...

Funny notes! I'm not really afraid of machine quilting, I just don't enjoy it. I know I'll have a few days of stiff neck, sore shoulders, & boredom. The whole time I'm doing it I feel like I'm missing out on quilting time. I'm definitely a "topper". The only reason I machine quilt is because taking all the quilts I make to the long arm quilter would be prohibitively expensive. So I just take in special ones.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Nice thoughts, got me there on my machine quilting run away.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Janet O. said...

Great post! The notes made me laugh. : )
Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

the girlfriend gap said...

Thanks for the smile and the encouragement. Love the notes ;0) Reminds me of the days I use to leave notes for my daughters :) Extra hugs for your daughter every day for living on "the edge" with sharks. I am one of those fearful machine quilters. Need to just take a bite out of the elephant and begin. It is all the swirls that terrify me. I have done some walking foot quilting . Can you share what tools you use to make it easier if you use any. Thanks. Janita

liniecat said...

LOL I love it - your daughter does have a point!

audrey said...

Your notes crack me up! And I get what you mean, but I am still afraid of machine quilting. I don't think I have very many quilts that I feel happy about 'ruining' in my efforts to learn!

Robin said...

What delightfuly notes! The fear for me is in intricate applique. Sometimes I just can't make myself stitch for fear of not getting that "V" clean of any fraying. But, then again, it's practice that improves just like you stated for machine quilting.

Quiltsmiles said...

Too funny! Love the love shared with messages with daughter. You are right on about trying quilting. Each time it becomes easier and better looking.

Kate said...

Love the notes. I'm very familiar with the eye roll you mention, Drama Teen does a very effective one.