Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Fabric Bowl Gift

At quilt camp we are assigned a "secret sister" to make a gift for. I made a red fabric bowl to decorate my secret sister's red and white sewing room. These are the photos I took along the way to show how it's done.
Sewing the base rounds


Making the turn to start building the sides

Building the bowl around the sewing machine

Finished bowl with little side handles
I have made many fabric bowls for gifts in the past (read more about it here and here), but this is the first bowl I've made with little handles. I'm not sure how well they will hold up over time, but they sure are cute.
A big thank you to my friend Maria who taught me how to make these bowls. And a shout out to my wonderful secret sister Susan who has been such an inspiration in my life for many years. I was happy to be able to make a special gift for her and fill it with some treats.

13 comments:

Created by Kathi said...

Wonderful bowl turned fun gift basket.. what a great idea! Susan is lucky you were her secret sis too! :) Kathi

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I remember you making these here and there in the past...this is adorable with the handles ! :)

The Cozy Quilter said...

I need a lesson on how to make a bowl! Very nice girl basket!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love fabric bowls, but, I haven't made any yet. Hey, what a great way to use 'ugly' fabric, since the pattern won't show up. I'd have to use my Janome, which I seldom pull out.

Stephie said...

What a lovely gift from a gifted sewer! I've never tried making these, but you're tempting me. They look like the ideal gift to post - lightweight, fun and maybe a bit squishable!

Janet O. said...

Such a fun and thoughtful gift. Who wouldn't love it--even if their sewing room isn't red and white? : )

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a great idea! I have been wanting to make one of these baskets for ages--love those little handles!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful gift filled with goodies. Your secret sister will love it!

Jeanna said...

Very nice fabric bowl. Quilt camp sounds like a great time.

moosecraft said...

Cute bowl! I've been meaning to try making these!

beaquilter said...

nice bowl. try next time to do another layer on the handles (all the way around) then it's more sturdy....

Judy said...

That's a great bowl and a very nice gift for someone special in your life!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

YOur gift is ADORABLE!!!