Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Paper Pieced Pumpkin


When I was at retreat last month, I sewed a little paper pieced block. My friend Barb had picked up this cute little kit for me from Quilt Junction and I was excited to give it a try. 


I must say it was a challenging block with some very tiny pieces. But I stuck with it, and was able to finish all the block components. I decided to go totally scrappy and veered away from the fabrics in the kit. In retrospect maybe pink wasn't a great choice for a pumpkin?!? 
When I put it on the design wall and was wondering about my odd fabric choices, I realized I had made a mistake on the corner pieces. Eventually the seam ripper made an appearance.

A scrappy square pumpkin
A scrappy rounded pumpkin
See how the scrappy pumpkin on the left is square? I don't know how that happened.
I took the block apart, removed the corner scraps and put on white background pieces. 
Ta da!
A round pumpkin! Kind of.

The free pattern is still available if you'd like to make your own pumpkin (or apple or other scrappy fruit) block. Click here to go to the Quarter Inch Mark blog and scroll down to get the pattern link.
Don't forget to round the corners!

6 comments:

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your pumpkin block turned out darling.

Katie said...

The pumpkin does look more like an apple... a Gala perhaps. They grow a lot of pumpkins and apples in this county. It looks wonderful. Thanks for showing us what's out there.

Teresa Rawson said...

I love having a little time to visit blogs and visit yours...it is always a thrill! Your little pumpkin block is so cute! And I love Swoon and your little spools! So much fun!

Janet O. said...

Very cute. A pink pumpkin is just a gourd in Halloween garb. : )
I can definitely see the apple possibilities, too. Maybe a chunkier stem would look more pumpkin-ish.

Judy said...

I like it and I can see a whole holiday scrap quilt using that block!

Deanna W said...

Ya I think it looks more like an apple too! Design choices!!