Saturday, July 23, 2016

Scrappy Saturday



Another Mad City Mama block is finished. This pattern is from Bonnie Hunter's book Adventures with Leader & Enders. It's quite a labour intensive block using 148 scraps! But it's really fun if you like scrap piecing (which I clearly do!)
You can see the first 4 blocks of my collection here



I finished this block while visiting with some quilting friends who call themselves the "Fabric Piranhas". They are a little scary and totally hilarious! I will post more about them tomorrow, but today I wanted to show the photos that I took of my block while staying at Louise's house. In one of her gardens she has an old treadle base turned into a table. The sewing machine is long gone but the base is still in great condition.
See how the actual treadle says "VERTICAL FEED" which means it was once operating a Davis sewing machine. I wonder if my herd will ever include one of these rare machines?
To see more scrappy projects being created, hop over to the weekly link up at SoScrappy.

13 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can't believe that you were brave enough to COUNT the number of scraps used in your HOT PINK block!! I'm not sure that I would want to know!!! LOL

LA Paylor said...

fabric pirhanas! Hahahaha

gayle said...

Looking forward to hearing about the fabric piranhas!
Love that Mad City Mama!

Julierose said...

these are amazing--I guess you really do like blocks with a ga-zillion pieces....hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like those blocks! I clicked over to see the others you've made, and like all the different centers you've put in them. The triangle corners that create the star in the center are fun, too. I think I need to read Bonnie's leaders and enders books!

Deanna W said...

So I need to remind you...WE are the Fabric Piranhas including you as you were officially made one last year at retreat.That makes you part and parcel of our craziness!! Can't wait to see what other pics you took. Hope you like the ones I included on my blog!! It is all in fun!!!

Cathy said...

I have loved seeing your Mad City Mama blocks come together (so much so that I bought the book!). It’ll be a fantastic quilt when you put it together!

Ivani said...

Love your pink Mad City Mama block.It is a big block. Your Keep Calm quilt will be gorgeous in Rainbow Scrap colors.

Laura said...

Great block! Mad City Mama never appealed to me until I saw your version. I really like your take on this pattern.

PaulaB quilts said...

I checked out your other four. What a good collection you are making and each a little different. Why not, each color has its own personality. Keep up the good work!

Sally Trude said...

I bet you enjoyed working on a smaller scale after working on all of those gigantic Alamo Stars!

Kaja said...

I love this block (and the other four). That's a lot of little pieces!

Deb A said...

I'm sure your herd would love a new sibling! Your pink Mama block is great. You sure have been busy this month traveling. So nice to see friends and family though.