Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Canning



I haven't written much about my canning efforts this year, because there hasn't been much effort put forth! In past years I have done a lot of canning, including trying dandelion jelly. It was not popular and eventually I had to throw it out since everyone refused eat it. Go figure!
I picked up 2 baskets of peaches at the market and when we couldn't eat them fast enough I decided to make some jam.


Even though I was a bit out of practice, it turned out just the way I like it... not too sweet, not too runny, with lots of chunks of fruit. 4 cups of chopped peaches made 5 1/2 jars of delicious jam. Unlike the dandelion jam, this batch is being devoured!

12 comments:

Cathy Melancon said...

Your peach jam sounds amazing!! You are so talented!!

Kath said...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is fascinated by dandelion jam. I have not heard of it in England. I'm guessing it's made with the flowers and I imagine it's a lovely gold colour?

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I've made jam before and it is so satisfying, isn't it. And the scent wafting through the kitchen and house ...yum :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I made a small batch of peach jam - mine is being eaten too!

Gretchen Weaver said...

My peach jam always turns into sugar grains as it sits over the winter. I no longer make it. I don't understand why, I follow the recipe. I don't have this problem with the other jams & jellies. Enjoy! Blessings, Gretchen

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My grandmother canned, but, my mother doesn't cook, so, I haven't a clue how to can things.

Janet O. said...

Wish I could bring you some peaches from my parents' tree. I am not in canning mode this year (mostly just survival mode) and I hate to see them go to waste.
Can't imagine why no one wanted to eat the dandelion jelly. : )

Julierose said...

Oooh yummy for sure--bet it won't last long...so much for fresh peach jam on those cold winter mornings LOL hugs, Julierose

Robin said...

The jam looks very tempting. Makes me want to make some bread and invite myself over - ha!

Helen said...

Yummy love homemade jams :)

Deanna W said...

I have never had much luck with jams and jellies.Strawberry freezer jam was the only one I could get right. I do love the taste of peach anything!!!

Barb said...

yum! One year I'm going to give it a try!