Monday, September 05, 2016

Design Wall Monday - September's UFO




This is a project that hasn't been seen on my blog for a long time. These are some of the sampler blocks from Barbara Brackman's project called Grandmother's Choice - Votes for Women. This was one of my favourite projects and I really enjoyed making these blocks, many of which I made by hand in 2012/2013.

Then the project sat in a box for a while waiting for some layout inspiration to arrive. Finally in 2014 I started sashing the blocks and finished about half of them before progress came to a halt. I was probably just distracted by other wonderful projects, and again it went to the UFO closet.
My goal for this month is to make a quilt top from the blocks. I discovered that for some unknown reason I was missing block #49, so I will make that block to have the complete set. Then I will finish sashing the blocks, and see what happens after that. I am thinking of adding a light sashing with cornerstones, but have to see how it looks on the design wall first.
To see more UFO projects, hop over to One Monthly Goal and to see more design wall postings, hop over to Patchwork Times.

9 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a pretty top this will be!

The Cozy Quilter said...

What nice blocks...I like the sashing. Good luck getting this one done!

Mary said...

Nice to see these Blocks again. Thanks for the reminder to Link-up my OMG. I have a week of Blogging to catch up on it seems like. My Week at the Fair is nearly DONE. Gotta do the the last clean-up.

Teresa Rawson said...

These blocks are lovely...you are so good and disciplined to finish all your fabulous UFOs one at a time. You just know that the minute you finish a second making of block #49, you'll find the first one! LOL!

Kate said...

I'd forgotten about that quilt along. Your blocks look great, love the colors you used. I ended up with about 6 blocks from the quilt along before I gave it up. Mine will probably sit on the UFO shelf for a bit longer. It will be fun to see yours all finished.

Robin said...

I was crazy enough to make 2 of these quilts, one to commemorate each of my grandmothers. I finished both tops but only one is quilted. It was machine quilted in February. I'm going to "big stitch" the other one. Your blocks look great together. Hope you can keep your enthusiasm going so you can finish soon.

Janet O. said...

The way you are alternating colors around the blocks is a really nice effect.

Angie said...

Looking forward to seeing your progress! My blocks are languishing, so maybe you will inspire me.

Heidi said...

I thought the same thing as Teresa, the block will turn up once you have a new one:)

Good Luck with your goal this month! This was one of the first QAL's I found online, and I regretted not participating.