Saturday, September 03, 2016

Scrappy Saturday Paper Piecing

Last week we finished up working with our light purple scraps over at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I hadn't worked on my Palm Branch project for a while, so I decided to add a light purple block to that collection. I didn't have any extra patterns to sew on, so I had to print out a pattern. 
size difference in paper piecing patterns
That proved to be a challenge since my old computer refuses to talk to our newer printer. So I went over to my parents where you need to hop on one foot, hold your mouth just right, and/or say magical words to get their printer to cooperate! I hate printers! The first few attempts resulted in patterns that were not the correct size, and I had to resize the scaling several times.  Note to self... print all the patterns you will need for a project at the same time!
Palm Branch block #10
I made my first palm branch block in 2012 and really enjoyed having a paper pieced RSC project. But I haven't worked on it much this year and was happy to spend some time making this block. You can still get the free pattern called "Red Herring" over at Quiet Play (who has a new pattern coming out in September that is perfect for all you rainbow scrap quilters to make for your sewing room!) Click here for the free tutorial and palm branch block pattern.

It's interesting to note that this is the 14th block for my palm branch quilt and each block uses 14 small coloured scraps and a background fabric. The number of the day is 14! 
I need 2 more blocks for a total of 16... which two colours should I add?
To see more RSC projects, hop over to SoScrappy.

30 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

This is such a fun project. I think you need some more warm colours....

SandraC said...

I think another green and a slightly lighter orange one. How big are the blocks?

ES said...

A teal one and and orange one!!! I've read that Windows ten can really mess with paper piecing due to the printing. I read about it on http://cheekycognoscenti.blogspot.com

Karen said...

For a person who prefers a more primitive look, I am surprisingly drawn to your blocks.

Sarah said...

This looks lovely, I think I would add a couple of brights, green, teal or orange maybe?

Ariane said...

I love these!! A pale green, a pale orange or pink would balance it out.

scraphappy said...

I think a deep gold would be great as well as a darker burgundy. I had almost forgotten about this project. It is going to be a great quilt very soon.

Deb A said...

I think a deep red and an orange would round it out nicely. So nice to see these again.

Cathy Melancon said...

Wow! I love these palm branch blocks! Makes me want to get out one of my paper pieced UFO! I think I have 10 blocks to go though, so that's what is keeping me from it!! Great work!!

Kathy S. said...

Can't wait to see all those blocks together. Beautiful.

beaquilter said...

i just love love these blocks!

Needled Mom said...

I think a green and another yellow - or peachy yellow would look nice.

Aunt 'Reen said...

These are really beautiful blocks!
Wonderful pattern too.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Red and Green. That will add balance.

Rebecca said...

How about a white on white just to mess with the mind? Different whites by different manufactures (and sometimes the same) can have a different cast.

Janet O. said...

I think a green is definitely in order, and possibly a deeper red. I can see the reasoning for an orange and it is a color I love and use often, but it is also very commanding of attention. I kind of think one is enough in this.
These blocks have always fascinated me--so much visual interest. I am happy to see them again!

Deanna W said...

I think you need another lime green and maybe a lighter pink one.I started the rainbow challenge and have to get caught up on the blocks I chose. Can't wait to see this month's colour combo!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Wow, those are really neat blocks! I haven't seen them before. They are going to make a beautiful quilt! Had to laugh at your description of getting the printer to work. We've all experienced that!

Katie Z. said...

Orange, brown, and/or green... But whatever you choose will be delightful.

Cathy said...

I love your palm blocks! I would suggest, as have some others, to add another green and a rich red.

Dolores said...

Great looking blocks. How about a peach or gray block?

PaulaB quilts said...

If what is there is your final arrangement, I like the effect of it going from dark at bottom to lighter on top, so why not finish it off that way? Anything light but still colorful. I love seeing all the blocks together.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Maybe a deep gold and a warm/rich green?

Scrapatches said...

I love this block design ... :) Pat

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I would add another green and an orange! those are the colors you only have one each of. It looks great.

gayle said...

That's a really fun block!
I'm in the green and orange camp, too. Whatever you pick, it's going to be a fabulous quilt!

Kaja said...

Whatever you do this will be gorgeous, so I'd just go with what you fancy on the day.

Kristin said...

I found your blog a few years ago because of this block and I've been following you ever since!! I've made one (1) of these. My plans were to follow you and make a rainbow, but it wasn't meant to be. =)

I vote for another orange block!

xoxox

Kate said...

These have always been one of my favorite RSC projects. Thanks for sharing the link. How about adding a dark green and a teal?

quiltingbydawn said...

This block has been on my 'to do' list for a while. What a great idea for the RSC quilt!