Sunday, September 11, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching - Marking

Welcome to Slow Sunday Stitching! Grab a cup of coffee or tea and join us as we update you on what's happening in our world of hand stitching.
Bohin chalk pencil, Frixion pen, and Hera marker
I have been hand quilting my civil war reproduction bow tie quilt. As I was basting it, I decided on the design of the quilting but wasn't sure how to mark the lines. There are so many marking options and I like them all, so it was just a matter of picking one. I decided on using these three just to make it more interesting!
On the light backgrounds I am using the hera marker to make a slight crease in the fabric. It's easy to see and doesn't result in any marks to remove on the light fabric.


hand quilting bow ties
But I find it hard to see hera marks on dark fabrics so I am using either the chalk marker or the frixion pen on the bow ties. I like both of these markers and I am using whichever shows up better on each fabric. On that grey/brown bow tie you can see I marked the left side with red frixion and the right side with chalk. Mostly I prefer the chalk because it just brushes off so easily. 


Today I will be happily hand quilting more bow ties.
What are you working on? We love to see your hand stitching projects, and cheer you on in making slow progress.

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

18 comments:

KaHolly said...

Very nice! I don't really have any hand projects on the go right now, which is so unlike me. I don't sit still well, and lately when I do, I've been reading for a change. I really must dig out some handwork., you've inspired me ;)! XO

Marie i said...

Would like to see photos & report on quilts you entered in Paris Fair.

Frances Meredith said...

Your stitching is looking so neat!

Jo said...

I find on some dark fabrics the frixion pens leave light marks but I love them for most things

Lesley said...

Love seeing these little bow ties come to life!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

My slow stitching for today will be marking, so your post is quite timely. I have a lot of HSTs to make, and I'll be using my TV time to mark lines.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

enjoy the quilting today :)

Stephie said...

It's interesting to see how you mark up Kathy - I'm about to buy my first Hera marker. The shop owner very kindly let me try hers to see what it was like and I was surprised at how well it marked. I wonder if it's as good for curves as it would seem to be for straight lines? I tend to use pencil (can be a bit of a pain to remove) or tailor's chalk - must get a chalk pen too! Enjoy your quilting today :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your bow tie block

Deanna W said...

Heading to our local quilt show for the day. Taking along hexies in case I can sit and stitch. But I have to see the show, shop the vendors, take in the tea room and work 2 hours. Hope I have time for it all!!!!

Barb said...

I was happy to hear you have trouble seeing the hera marker - me too!
Happy Stitching!

SandraC said...

I'm new to the Hera marker, but liking it so far. I like the Bohin marker a lot. I love Frixon pens, but am starting to try different methods when possible.

Angie said...

I always appreciate hearing about the success or failure of different marking pens. There are so many choices now, I always feel nervous about pens that I haven't experimented with myself.

Kath said...

Although I have no blog now, I still continue to enjoy yours and most Sundays I am slow stitching. Today I am putting together a lone star, with papers. I made one by machine in MArch, it nerly drove me crazy with the un-picking needed to get it lined up! EPP is the way to go :-)

Cathy said...

I use the hera marker if I'm marking straight lines or dark or light. For other than straight lines I use chalk on dark or mechanical pencil on light.

Lyndsey said...

I like the chalk marker especially if drawing a curve. I haven't tried the hera marker. I get a little nervous using new markers as I sometimes find the fade too quickly or don't fade or wash out at all.

Denise :) said...

Just out of curiosity, Kathy, what do you mark with when you're working with wool? I know it must vary depending on the color...just as with cotton fabric. I haven't ever tried a hera marker! It looks intriguing. And since I'm a collector of gadgets . . . !! :)

Rachel said...

Thanks for hosting! I tend to prefer chalk as well, or masking tape, because of ease of "mark" removal. I'm very curious about this Hera marker though. Do you have to stitch without a hoop so that the marks don't stretch back out? Please and thank you!